Sunday, July 5, 2009

Is That Normal?

I've discovered recently that I sweat a lot. Before I continue I should probably explain that I'm talking about situations where some kind of physical effort is involved. I don't just break out into a flop sweat when I brush my teeth or anything. Come to think of it, I do sweat a little when I blow dry my hair. That's not the point, but in my own defense I will say that I rarely set my AC below 82 so the occasional bead of sweat will appear at random times.

Back to my original statement regarding sweat and physical effort. I recently decided to sign up for some personal training sessions this summer. A friend of mine is a personal trainer and she was offering up some summer specials, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I tend to be more diligent if someone is expecting something out of me. I'm a people-pleaser so I can't help myself. So far I've had 2 of my 10 sessions and I think I've sweat more in those two sessions than I have in all my life. I honestly began to question my ability to hold onto the weights and equipment because of my sweaty hands. It became a big concern when I was laying down on a bench and lifting a slippery 25lb weight from over my chest, to over my head and toward the floor. How could I explain that I broke my nose and knocked out all of my teeth while exercising? Fortunately, that didn't happen but it was a distinct possibility. Having toned triceps didn't really seem worth it at that very moment.

If there is any chance that the amount of one's sweat equates to the number of calories one has burned - then I'm good for a few weeks. :)

One other matter that needs to be addressed...the Cardio Challenge. I have been woefully absent for the past few weeks. I'm hoping that a certain someone will grant me permission to count my 10 minute cardio warmups that my trainer includes in my training sessions (hey, it's not like I'm claiming I warm up for 60 minutes or anything). She doesn't allow me time to take photos of my cardio time.


10 minutes on a treadmill (Tuesday)

10 minutes on the elliptical (Friday)

30 minutes on the elliptical today, for which I have proof

Hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th of July!

4 comments:

  1. Reciprocity is the name of the game, darlin'. You have been kind enough to grant me times that went unphotographed, so I will return the favor-even tho' it is to my detriment. :) Your latest "surge" has put me at a deficit. Quite frankly, I'm not motivated at the moment to catch up, either. :(

    Congrats on the training sessions. I think you'll end up really liking them, even tho' you'll be sweaty and smelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Careful in the gym there! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check to see if they have weights with straps. The ones I just bought have straps across the back of my hands, so if they slip I don't drop them. Good luck with the trainer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard once that sweating a lot while exerting oneself is a sign of fitness (I actually nearly typed "swearing a lot", lol).

    How about some special weight training gloves just to be on the safe side?

    ReplyDelete