Sunday, April 19, 2009

It's Nice to Know You're There

Wow, where have you been? This was the internal conversation I had with my calves this morning when I realized how much they hurt. Normally, I would find this annoying and complain about how it sucks to get older (I'm not that old, but it doesn't prevent me from complaining). However, I am happy to say that the soreness is a result of my workout yesterday at the gym. Yay! Oddly enough, my discomofort put a smile on my face and I continued my morning routine and got ready to go the gym AGAIN this morning.

This has never happened to me before, but I found myself actually interested in the various machines at the gym. Usually, I'm too intimidated to try some of them - too many moving parts. I got over it and actually felt like I was "playing" in the gym. Unfortunately, I know myself too well and know that this feeling will eventually wear off. I'll enjoy it while I can.

My toys of both yesterday and today included the elliptical (25-30 minutes), leg presses, shoulder presses, weird abdominal thingy-ma-bobbers, other upper arm exercises that I don't know the name of but they're good for your shoulders, triceps, back, etc. And my personal favorite, the hip abductors and adductors. Strangely, my hips are very strong. I can do a fair amount of weight when doing those suckers. They aren't the most ladylike exercises in the world, but I guess that is almost fitting for me. :)

I'm pretty pleased with my new gym - not too big or very busy, which makes it nice to just do your thing. Oh, and my gym has this body scan machine that measures weight, BMI, body fat %, blood pressure and pulse. If only it could tell me the winning lottery numbers! I have a feeling that I might get addicted to this machine. I don't love all of the stats it spit out yesterday, but that's why I'm in the gym, stupid! I think this machine will be my nemesis and I won't stop until it tells me what I want to see/hear.

I've been mostly better about the food issues. I've kept a food journal fairly religiously for the past week or so. It's pretty easy to spot the things that I can cut out. Even on my bad days it's not horrific. Progress.

Must go for now, but I'm contemplating signing up for a run in the next month or so. I haven't run in a while and it might be nice to do a 5k.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Whew!!! You'll be outdriving your brother when those upper body muscles really kick into shape. :) I gotta start doing shoulder stuff again, too. It's finally to the point my shoulder isn't always sore.

    ReplyDelete